Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Update 3 (Cutting, planing, gluing)

I forgot to bring my camera to the shop twice, so I think my intent for this to be an informative blog has just gone out the window.

Yesterday, me and a friend cut 2 3/4 inch strips of both ash and walnut, aswell as planed everything down straight and smooth so that we could stick them all together with the carpenter's glue. The actual gluing was a process in itself, and one that I'm not ambitious enough to try to explain without pictures, but in a nutshell: Lots of glue, lots of paper towels, lots of clamps, lots of spare 2x4 planks to place under and over.

I let the block dry overnight. The next day (today), I went in, took all the clamps off, scraped off the excess glue and paper (paper was there to prevent the glue from sticking to the 2x4 that were there to give the clamps something to hold onto. This would be alot easier to understand if I had a picture of it.). After this, I took it back to the planer and VERY GENTLY planed down to about 1 1/2 inches thickness to take off all the bits of glue and paper, and to have the entire slab be uniformly flat. Then I bought it home and took this shot:



It would have been really cool to have pictures of every step of the way, but my lack of short-term memory made it so that we skipped quite a few steps. Oh well.

Next step is to go to a guitar shop, grab a telecaster from the wall and trace the body onto a big piece of paper. I'm sure there are more precice ways of doing so, but I'm very lazy and this seems like the only viable solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment